Friday, December 29, 2006

Sweet Pics From Nintendo World, NYC

I was in New York for the holidays and while I was strolling arounf Manhattan, I found the Nintendo World Store. I think this is the place where Reggie Fils-Aime launched the Wii but I'm not sure. Anway, as I walked around and watched five-year-olds suck at playing Wii I found a mini museum of all of this sweet Nintendo stuff. It had prototypes for the NES a crap load of custom game boys, and lots of other cool stuff. I whipped out my camera and snapped away. I'm putting the pictures in the post. Sorry if the quality sucks, I had to take these on the fly. Click on the picture for a closer look.






This was a Game Boy that was in the first Gulf Wars. It was hit while during a bombing at a barracks and still works. Its still playing Tetris.



More fried Game Boy.



Mmmmmm, toasty.



The evolution of the Game Boy. Game and Watch (far left) -> Game Boy (the gray brick) -> Game Boy Pocket (black to the right of the Game Boy) -> Game Boy Light (clear above Pocket) -> Game Boy Color (yellow to the right of Pocket) -> Game Boy Advance (above Color) -> Game Boy Advance SP -> (Silver to the right of Color) No Game Boy Micro though...



A golden Game Boy Advance SP signed by Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Zelda and Mario (to name a few).



Bling Bling.



Prototypes of the NES. Theres what looks like a Commodore-esque version with a QWERTY keyboard, something that looks like a cassette player called the Advanced Video System (AVS but not the Atari!), and I have no idea what the thing on the far right is but above there is a sweet joysitck-looking thing. Also check out the sweet metallic buttons on the concept controllers.



A close up of the AVS.



The NES with its Japanese counterpart, the Famicom.



Game Boys, lots and lots of Game Boys. Theres Pokémon, NES/Famicom, Mario, Donkey Kong, Kingdom Hearts, Camo, Naruto, and the colors of the rainbow.



A close up of the Pokémon ones. Theres Pikachu, Groundon, and Kyogre.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude that's frickin' sweet.
Awesome site by the way.

Anonymous said...

Nice pics. In that last pic, those last two are obviously from some new generation of pokemon I'm not familiar with, but that you apparently are. For goodness' sake, they don't even look like pokemon now.

Emilio said...

Kyogre and Groundon are from Ruby and Saphire, the last Pokémon I ever owned (a great title by the way)

Anonymous said...

wait, I feel stupid. I was looking at the two right next to pikachu, not the ones below. Thank goodness, because if pokemon were shapes or lines, then you'd know that it was time for them to give up.